Monday, February 7, 2011

Ceramic Artist: Shirley Fintz

I first came across Shirleys work when looking in a shop on the antique alley which is Church Str, Cape Town with my sister Megan. She had been given a gift of money from her London friends for her 30th to buy something special. She came across the piece shown here on Shirleys hip and loved it....

Not long afterwards I was browsing in Regent Streets London Anthropologie (heaven on earth) and these interesting pieces caught my eye...to be represented at Anthropologie would be a rather big deal I would have thought!

Whats quite clever is the use of antique patterning on a modern and very different ceramic surface, see the Dutch 'delft' patterns and colouring....behind glass cabinet doors all over the historic homes of the Cape, given a new twist here.

A little tip - buy these in Cape Town and NOT at Anthropologie....your wallet will be happier for it.

No comments: