Thursday, March 3, 2011

Going Retro with G Plan

I hate admitting to my TV addictions, perhaps because my last fix was Desperate Housewives....I now however have a small obsession with Mad Men.

To be a woman in those days...20 years on I keep thinking of my folks who met at the photocopier at I&J. Mike was 31, big shot and owner of a nifty little black jag, Jean - naive, 22, great 'torso' and tiny yellow mini skirt I am told. Go figure..... (Much has changed since to my relief)

Anyway - Mad Men set design is an ode to retro. I long admired the charity shoppers and now think they might have been onto something....

G-Plan is one such furniture range which epitomises 1950's furniture. Post war, during which furniture was rationed, led to pent-up demand for modern furniture.



In 1953 G Plan decided to produce a range of modern furniture for the entire house which could be bought piece by piece according to budgets. Advertising was part of the plan from the beginning and the furniture was advertised in magazines and in cinemas direct to the public. Designs were available for several years so people could collect them slowly. All furniture was marked with the distinctive brand mark.

The success of G-Plan led to one of the UK's largest furniture manufacturers, with profits increasing sixfold between 1952 and 1958 when it was floated.



Now this furniture is very collectable but can still be bought on the cheap from the unsuspecting seller....infact other furniture to keep your eye out for are brands Macintosh, Ercol or anything of Danish origin.




Early IKEA pieces are also very collectable as the brand has changed much since from quality to quantity.

Enjoy your weekend, maybe time to hit some markets to bag a bargain!
xx

PS Apologies to those this post affended....My mother still has a great 'torso', thats not what changed in case you were wondering.

No comments: